|Chuck Versus the Suburbs|
|Season 02, Episode 13|
|Air Date||February 16, 2009|
|Previous||"Chuck Versus the Third Dimension"|
|Next||"Chuck Versus the Best Friend"|
- "You better be careful, Sarah, one day you might actually turn into a real girl."
- ― Chuck
Chuck Versus the Suburbs is the thirteenth episode in season two, which aired on February 16, 2009. It is the twenty-sixth episode overall.
The episode was originally supposed to air after "Chuck Versus the Best Friend". The airing order was swapped in the U.S. due to the show being preempted for the Presidential speech, and since "Suburbs" has a Valentine's Day theme, it was aired on the week of Valentine's Day.
Meanwhile, Big Mike is introduced to internet dating after the Buy More staff are sick and tired of his complaining about his divorce. He became more angry than usual and forced them to actually work.
Full Story Edit
At Buy More, the Valentine's Day spirit is high but Big Mike is taking his anger out on everyone because he is getting divorced from his wife.
Casey and General Beckman provide the next mission-to go into the deep and scary suburbs to reveal a sleeper cell that left a former agent, Yeager, debilitated. Chuck and Sarah have to pose as a married couple for this mission living in the Meadow Branch suburban cul-de-sac.
Chuck enters the house to see his life in photos. There are wedding pictures, vacation pictures, and he even has a dog. Sarah is in the kitchen mixing together salad and has invited the neighbors over. One of the ladies, a cougar, Sylvia, played by Jenny McCarthy, has her eyes set on Chuck.
At Buy More, everyone tries to get Big Mike a date over the internet. After he sees some sexy ladies online, he decides to go through with it. He has to lie in order to get the good dates and they fabricate a story that Big Mike is a wealthy shipping tycoon.
In the suburbs, Chuck goes down for breakfast, and Sarah has cooked him breakfast and has his travel coffee, and even gives him grocery list. There is a message on the back of his grocery list written in invisible ink. Sylivia's husband was a former CIA agent who planted a bug on them and also purchased specialty cabling enabling him to break into secure government websites. The mission is for Chuck to get close to the former CIA agent by pretending to want to have an affair with Sylvia.
Sylvia brings Chuck upstairs into her bedroom and takes off his clothes and handcuffs him to the bed. Chuck grabs the cuff key with his toes and frees himself and finds her husband's cabling. There is a computer screen that asks for a password. Chuck figures that it must be salamander, and he types it in. There is an Intersect type download, which leaves Chuck briefly incapacitated.
The ex-CIA agent rushes home and asks whether his wife has tested Chuck. As they head upstairs, Chuck comes back to his senses and gets out of the house across the roof. The Fulcrum agents are shocked Chuck was able to survive the test.
General Beckman pulls Chuck out of danger so that Sarah and Casey can focus on the couple; in short, "The Carmichaels are getting a divorce". Chuck cannot make sense of the information that he received.At Buy More, Chuck finds a Meadow Branch brochure and flashes it. He sees that the entire cul-de-sac is Fulcrum. He tries to tell Sarah, but it is too late. The neighborhood has captured Sarah and Casey. Chuck gets captured back at the house.
Chuck is strapped to a chair and Sarah is in another room. The Fulcrum agents try to get Chuck to join their side and are planning to see if he can survive some experiments. They are trying to rebuild the Intersect program and gain all the CIA secrets; apparently, they think that the government had given up on their own Intersect and have reverted to pre-existing methods to combat terrorism. The other agents hadn't survived the experiment. Chuck tries get them to let Sarah go; the agents guess that he is in love with her and mocks his delusion.
Chuck is subjected to a full version of the test and he becomes apparently catotonic, thus convincing the Fulcrum agents that their experiments have become a success. They want to experiment on Sarah. Meanwhile, Casey has escaped and goes into the control room. Chuck asks to have a few words with Sarah and as she closes her eyes, Casey pulls up the same test. All the agents are in the experiment room and unprotected from the test.
The Fulcrum test incapacitates everyone in the room except for Chuck and Sarah since they had their eyes closed. Casey then supervises the capture of the Fulcrum agents.
At Buy More, Big Mike tells his internet date the truth about who he is. It turns out that the woman had lied as well and thought that he found out and that is the reason why she is at the Buy More. The Buy More is where her son works. Morgan is her son, much to his embarrassment.
Guest Stars Edit
- Bonita Friedericy as General Diane Beckman
- Patricia Rae as Bolonia Grimes
- Andy Richter as Brad White
- Brian Thompson as Cliff Arculin
- Jenny McCarthy as Sylvia Arculin
- Allison Simpson as the wife of Brad White
- The house used for filming the interior and exterior scenes of this episode can be found at 25673 Walker Place, Newhall, CA .
- Jeff uses the phrase "Skinjob" near the beginning of the episode when he, Morgan and Lester are discussing if Big Mike has been replaced by a robot double. This could be a reference to the movie Blade Runner (1982), where the term is sometimes used instead of "replicants" when referring to androids.
- The computer used in the underground Fulcrum Intersect test facility runs Linux. Casey runs the program using the following commands:
usr/local/bin chmod +r+w-a
run ts -a
- Evidently the Fulcrum Intersect is a group of files under the name init.fish_seq.a
- Interestingly enough, the command "chmod +r+w-a" is invalid since it takes read and write access from everybody. Doing so would have prevented Casey from even running the program in the first place. Unless, of course, chmod was modified from its original purpose and Casey knew beforehand to do so.
- The way Chuck is strapped to a chair and forced to keep his eyelids open is similar to the Ludovico Technique from A Clockwork Orange.
- Chuck warning a restrained Sarah to protect herself from the Fulcrum Intersect by closing her eyes tightly, while the Fulcrum agents are all killed or incapacitated by it, is similar to the ending of Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Morgan: Did you ever think that the two of us would wind up with smart, beautiful, sexually adventuresome girls on Valentine's Day?
Big Mike: The answer is no. Two jackasses like you landing two hot pieces like Anna and Blondie? It's a cruel trick of nature.
Sylvia: Mr. Carmichael... I didn't expect you to come so quickly.
Chuck: Charles Carmichael always comes quickly.
Chuck: Look, Mike, I don't know, it's up to you, but do you really want to be part of a relationship that's founded on lies?
Morgan: [to Mike]: The answer's yes.
Lester: Yeah, absolutely.
- Talking Heads – “Once In A Lifetime”
- Johnny Nash – “I Can See Clearly Now”
- Cassettes Won’t Listen – “Freeze And Explode”
- Peggy Lee – “Fever”